top of page

Day 16 - Tour Day 12 - Lares Trek Day 3

San Isidro, Cuzco, Peru Thursday, June 25, 2015

Such a nice sleep, I woke this morning at a little after 6am feeling great, no longer feeling sick which is fantastic as it will make the walk out this morning a lot better.

We got up all before the original planned time of 7:30 probably because we all went to sleep rather early. After packing our bags, a clean we want and had breakfast. This morning for breakfast we had some toast then they brought us out pancakes... Each pancake had a different word written on it, my one had mule, I'm assuming that's because I had the horse all yesterday.

We trekked uphill for about 30 minutes where we got one of our last views over the valley at the highest point of our trip for the day before our 2 and a bit hours descent through the valley of Pumahuanca.

We continued our way to the bottom of the trek walking a total of about 6.5km before we finished our 3 day hike and had lunch. After the lunch it was time to farewell our guides, porters and our chefs. They all did a great job in looking after us, and they all said they had a fantastic time with us and said we were one of the best groups they had looked after. Wether they say that to all the groups I don't know, but they said our group got on so well it made looking after us so much easier and enjoyable for them.

We took a 30 minute bus ride back to Ollantaytambo where we met Luchio near the train station and caught the train to Aguas Calientes also know as Machu Picchu town where we will stay the night before catching a bus in the morning up to the Machu Picchu site, one of the wonders of the world.

We headed out for dinner and while we waited for the meal to come Bruno, Trent and myself headed to the local markets to see what they had. Bruno took on the role of chief barterer and drove down the prices even more, it was funny to see he wouldn't even give the equivalent of 25cents and said I have only 7 soles... And a street map and offered it to the lady, she gave him the item for the price he was asking for.

After dinner the others headed back to the hotel while Trent, Bruno and I took a bit of a look around the town, we headed up a street and it seemed to be that every 3rd shop was a souvenir shop, every 5th was a place to get a massage, and the rest were restaurants. I don't know how many times we got told it was happy hours, 4 for the price of 1 drinks. Every cafe or restaurant offered the same happy hour deal. It did get a little shocked as we walked past a massage saloon and a guy said "Happy Hour", it took me a couple of moments to realise he was referring to the restaurant we had just walked past.

During our walk we came across a pathway lit up next to a river. It appeared to be accessible by a door that looked like you were meant to pay to get entry... No one was there so we just bowled on through. As we got to the top we realised it was for the thermal hot springs. They appeared to be cleaning the pools out when we got to the top, but it was good to see that they do actually clean them every night.

Tomorrow I get to finally tick Machu Picchu off my bucket list, and seeing it's a 4:45am start, I will be needing an early night. So that is what I'm going to do now.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page